Power Plastics Thermal Asphalt Covers
A thermal asphalt cover is used to keep asphalt warm whilst transporting and storing temporarily so that it doesn’t solidify and become difficult to work with. It is aimed at civil engineering and construction companies that build and maintain roads, driveways, parking lots, etc. and bitumen suppliers.
Asphalt, also commonly referred to as bitumen or tar, is a sticky, black, and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid form of petroleum that is widely used worldwide in the construction of roadways. Typically, the construction process involves mixing fine and coarse aggregates such as sand, gravel and crushed rock with asphalt, which acts as the binding agent. Other materials, such as recycled polymers (e.g. rubber tyres) may be added to the asphalt to modify its properties according to the application for which the asphalt is ultimately intended. Due to its highly viscous nature, asphalt needs to be heated so it can be mixed with the aggregates at the asphalt mixing facility. Delivery to site, laying and compaction must be done while the asphalt is sufficiently hot, thus the need for a cover with thermal properties to prevent heat loss. The temperature required varies depending upon characteristics of the asphalt and the aggregates, but warm-mix asphalt technologies allow producers to reduce the temperature required. Mixing is generally performed with the asphalt heated to over 150 °C so the cover needs to withstand these high temperatures.
When maintenance is performed on asphalt roads, such as milling to remove a worn or damaged surface, the removed material can be returned to a facility where the asphalt can be reactivated and put back to use in new road surfaces. More than 99% of the asphalt removed each year from road surfaces is reused.
The benefits of using a thermal asphalt cover are as follows:
- Asphalt covers can be custom made to any size to fit either over the entire vehicle load bed or just over the load of asphalt.
- The 440gsm thick canvas material can withstand temperatures of up to 190 degrees Celsius.
- The covers are hard-wearing and ideal for rough handling and harsh conditions.
- The covers can be re-used many times, thus making them economical to use.
- They are made from a heavy material so will not readily blow away in windy conditions.
- They are easy to fold and store when not in use.
- Remote areas can now be supplied with warm asphalt and it can open up further opportunities to build roads in remote areas.
Cell: +27(0) 83 651 0464
If you have any questions or want to become a featured company on our website to broaden the scope of your business, please send us a mail on firstname.lastname@example.org.