A barn on a farm is like diesel in your pick-up truck – you cannot go without it. Fortunately, it is no longer necessary to tediously transport steel and bricks and to build bits of wall whenever the other farm work permits.
With GSI’s ArchSpan technology, your instant solution is delivered to your farm as a factory on wheels and within a day or three, you may proudly invite your neighbours for a barn dance.
ProAgri had the privilege to watch the men from GSI as they erected a barn measuring 25 by 10 metres on a game farm near Muldersdrift, South Africa.
The barn has no rafters. In the centre the arch is 4 metres high without the side wall of 0,9 metres.
How does it work? Nine easy steps:
- Contact GSI and let them help you to plan your barn. You can do anything in the watertight structure: mill and mix feeds, operate a workshop, store produce in a climate controlled conditions or, if you really want to, simply store your new pickup safely. In the meantime, prepare the floor area with the basis for the structure to rest upon. The barn can be up to 20 metres wide and as long as you want it to be.
- Then, the GSI ArchSpan truck and factory trailer are called in with all the materials, equipment and tools needed, and the next step is to deploy the factory with the stands on which the panels are going to be rolled out.
- The roll of flat steel is fed into the machine at one side to be bended into a U shape with lips on the edges to be used for joining them together later. Every section is automatically cut off at the correct length.
- From the other side, the U shaped length is then fed into another machine to bend it to the correct angle.
- Five of the prepared lengths are joined together with an inventive self-propelled sealer which folds the lip of one plate over the lip of the adjacent one to seal it fi rmly and water tightly.
- The hollow sides of the panels are on top, causing all water to run off down the sides.
- The crane, which is also part of the factory on wheels, lifts the panels onto the prepared basis and keeps them in position by means of a special beam until they are fastened.
- Then, the same sealer is used to join the sets together by literally hoisting the operator onto the roof and to let him down on the other side.
- As soon as the arch structure has been erected, the rest of the barn can be organised to suit specific needs with doors on both sides, isolation if necessary, and any other special requirements.
To order you instant arch barn, contact GSI at: