When Dr Peter Oberem founded Afrivet Business Management in 2000 his vision was to create an animal health company that would provide for the unique needs of southern African farmers and animal owners.
Initially this was aimed purely at obtaining products suited to the commercial market and being able to provide expert technical support.
Through continually training the field agents, through enthusiastic marketing, and the support of a network of experts in their particular field, the company’s sales have grown, enabling the company to become one of the top five animal health companies in southern Africa.
Afrivet’s Founding Principles
Afrivet’s strategy is based on a number of founding principles which has contributed to its success:
- An ability to network has allowed the company to provide a conduit for newer/smaller multinationals to enter the South African market, and thereby provide farmers with a wider range of products. This also improves competitiveness and helps to reduce prices for the stock owner in the sub-Saharan Africa market.
- By developing products for itself as well as for overseas organisations, Afrivet is able to build its own intellectual property and registrations.
- Marketing with integrity is essential: sound technical advice is provided with Afrivet’s promotional materials and by its agents and product managers at the time of sale. After-sales service is always available and in the event of problems Afrivet’s veterinarians are committed to investigating and resolving the issue.
- Afrivet concentrates its efforts in sub-Saharan Africa, where the company’s expertise enables it to deal with the area’s unique diseases, parasites and prevailing conditions.
- Wherever the opportunity presents itself, Afrivet offers its personnel shared ownership in the company and/or its subsidiaries, thus providing staff a strong motivation to maximise their potential.
Livestock production has always been the backbone of African agriculture.
Understanding the importance of livestock to a country’s economy and providing the right products and services to develop this sector is Afrivet’s reason for being. The company offers a wide range of quality products and technical expertise to improve health in the commercial and communal farming sectors.
The Afrivet Plan, or ‘A Plan’, is a management system which the company devised to guide commercial farmers in the planned use of products for effective disease prevention and treatment – rather than random or inappropriate use. The plan is equally applicable to both small-scale communal farmers and large-scale commercial farmers, and guides the farmer’s animal health actions through the year.
A Primary Animal Health Care (‘PAHC’) management system, with six unique training modules, is also available to communal farmers who have limited access to veterinary support. Afrivet’s PAHC programme provides comprehensive information on the knowledge and skills needed at ground level, through full colour training manuals, demonstration videos and multimedia presentations in local languages. These training modules are also used to develop the skills of commercial farm workers, as they play the same role as the small scale stock owner, as the first line of defence against livestock disease and production loss.
After-Sales and Emergency Service
After sales service is a vital link in Afrivet’s quality chain. To address this the company has a veterinarian on standby at its emergency number: 012 991 6416 to assist clients with any product problems. The company also has a team of veterinarians – available on 0860 VEEARTS – who are able to assist stock owners with general queries on animal health.